August 8, 2017
Everything really IS bigger in Texas, including its biological diversity! Because of its size and geography, Texas has it all – forests, deserts, mountains, hills, prairies and coastal plains. All told, there are over 5000 species of native plants.
There are 5 major benefits to using Texas natives in your upcoming landscape renovation:
- Native plants are drought tolerant. In the extreme summer heat, this is beneficial from a water conservation standpoint.
- Native plants provide habitat and food for birds, bees, butterflies and other wildlife.
- Native plants are low maintenance overall because they are adapted to the Texas soils and climate. Therefore, they don’t require extra fertilization or care.
- Natives are not only beautiful, but they help maintain biological diversity.
- Native plants are unique to their own region, and they help enhance the natural beauty of Texas.
With so many beautiful options and obvious benefits, the choice is clear. Honoring local horticulture in our designs is not only the practical choice, it is aesthetically pleasing as well. There’s more to Texas than just tumbleweeds, so get out there and plant a native y’all!