The smoky sweetness of fruit seared on the grill is an easy way to impress guests. Grilled fruit doesn’t have to be saved for dessert; we’ve created a sample menu below using fruit in each course.
Appetizer: Grilled Prosciutto wrapped fig
Recipe found on The Food Network
- 6 Black Mission Figs, cut in ½
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar, plus extra for dressing
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 12 slices prosciutto
- ½ log goat cheese or cream cheese
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups baby arugula
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the grill and brush with a grill brush to remove any excess crud and fat. After brushing, run an oiled towel over the grates to pick up any loosened crud or soot.
- Drizzle each fig half with vinegar and fill each fig center with goat cheese. Sprinkle a couple flakes of crushed red pepper, if using, on top of the goat cheese and wrap each fig with a slice of prosciutto. Paint the outside of each fig very lightly with olive oil.
- Put the figs on a cooler spot of the preheated grill. The idea here is that we want to grill the figs gently to cook the fig all the way through but to still get the char on the outside. Grill the figs on all sides so the prosciutto is starting to become crispy and the fig feels soft when squeezed, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- While the figs are grilling, in a large bowl, toss the arugula with a little extra-virgin olive oil, some balsamic vinegar and the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Taste, and add salt, if needed. Arrange on individual serving plates or a serving platter and top with the figs. Drizzle a couple of drops of balsamic on each fig and serve.
Main Course: Chicken terriyaki with grilled pineapple
Recipe found on Fit Foodie Finds
- 2 packages of Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce/marinade
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 Tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 pineapple, cored and sliced
- Begin by prepping marinade. Mix together teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, garlic, EVOO, pineapple juice, and lime juice. Then, place chicken portions in a large tupperware or glass bowl and pour marinade on top. Pierce chicken breasts with a fork a few times so that the marinade really soaks in. Place in refrigerator, covered, for 4-5 hours.
- Once the chicken breasts are marinaded, preheat grill to about 375F. Spray grill with nonstick cooking spray, and place chicken breasts on top.
- Let cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, watching closely.
- To grill pineapple, place on preheated grill (375F) and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
Dessert: grilled peached served over bluebell ice cream
- 5 peaches
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 Gallon of Bluebell Vanilla Ice Cream
- Cut peaches in slices
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla
- Brush peach slices with mixture
- Sear for 2 minutes on high heat
- Serve over vanilla ice cream